Thursday, April 16, 2015

Run Hard. Be Resilient. Don't Quit.

Hope everyone had a great week and enjoyed the weather. I was sooo ready for some sunshine this week! Haha.

Brandon and I met my Team in Training Campaign Manager, Liz Ovits and as an added treat I was able to see my friend Ellen, the School and Youth Campaign Manager for LLS’s NCA chapter while visiting.  :) Liz gave some further insight on the research being done, training tools, shared materials, and what to expect through the fundraising process. I love that the research being done will benefit all cancers, in addition to blood cancers. As she explained, blood cancers are easier to test on and extract, while tumors can be more difficult.

Events.

This week, I was happy to send out an invite on Facebook to my first game night fundraising event. Flyer for the event:
 Click here to for a larger view of the flyer. Hope you can join! 


My training week 4/6 - 4/12.

1st Run - Shirlington Pacers Fun Run, 3 miles. Rainy day, but finished before it poured. The hills were challenging.
 
2st Run  Old Town Alexandria Pacers Fun Run, 3 miles. Received lots of tips on race fuel (Gu energy gels)  and they had a great sale, which allowed me to purchase four pairs of my favorite Pacer’s run socks.


Weekend Run – Gravelly Point Park trail to D.C. Gorgeous day and enjoyed a water break to take photos and enjoy the Cherry Blossoms, 6 miles.



 

 






 

 
Weekend Hike – Great Falls Park, another day of great weather that we took advantage of by packing a picnic to enjoy after our hike.






 
Marathon Training Guide.

"Why We Run Marathons" statistics from the Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon:
  • Had been running shorter distances; moved up - 11.5%
  • For motivation: “If I can do this, I can do anything” - 11.5%
  • Inspired by others who ran marathons 10.3%
  • To get in shape for health reasons - 9.2%
  • To lose weight - 5.8%
  • To cope with divorce or other traumatic lifestyle change - 5.8%
  • For the love of running - 5.8%
  • In memory of someone - 5.8%
  • Bucket list: something I always wanted to do - 4.6%
  • For mental health - 4.6%
  • To challenge myself - 3.5%
Statistics included the most popular combined responses from runners for running marathons and shockingly, raising money for charity did not make the list. My personal motivation for running a marathon is raising money for cancer research after my awareness from seeing my best friend beat cancer, to challenge myself, and being inspired by others.

Fundraising.

Click here to make a donation OR click the LLS Team in Training logo/donate now link in the right pane of this blog. I need to fundraise at least $2000 to meet my goal.

Please share my blog link with anyone you know that can fill a state on my map... $1 could fill a state. I am going to fill each state on the map below and update on my blog as I receive support, so my blog followers can see my progress.

 Thanks for following/sharing my blog! Please feel free to comment. I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions. :) 

References:
Higdon, H. (2011). Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide Advice, Plan, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons. (4th ed.). (pp. 1-294). New York, NY: Runner's World, Rodale Inc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment