Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Never give up.


My first event was a success. I have raised $1,155 and have $845 more to raise to meet my $2000 goal.



Now that my "Why I Joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team In Training" video was shown at my first event. I'd like to share the video that my very talented friend Mike Reid and my love Brandon Blake helped produce. Enjoy and please share!


Upcoming event.
Finally the reveal! The owner of Blue Iguana, Ian Purcell, has graciously supported me in hosting the next LLS Team In Training event. You don’t want to miss it! J Not only will your donations support cancer research…  it will be a great event to get together and have fun. We are going to have a DJ, raffle items (Blue Iguana, Ford’s Fish Shack, Don Tito, A-Town…  more to come) and awesome specials.
 
More raffle items will be added to my blog and events page as the event approaches, so please check back!
Training.
My first half marathon complete. Wahoo!
 
 

I went to the Health and Lifestyle Expo to pick up my packet and signed the Marine Corps Historic Half banner... here is a close up of the banner on race day. See if you can spot my message :) ... GO TEAM IN TRAINING!!!

 

 
The morning of the race... we were up at 4 a.m. The suggested arrival time was 6 a.m., an hour before the race. 


The hills were as tough as my runner friends told me haha.
 
I received some good advice to pace myself in the beginning and not start out too fast. I was prepared for a hill at near the 9 mile mark and the hills appeared that way on the elevation map. However, I warn anyone doing this race in the future that the tough steep hills are towards the first half of the race, which was unexpected for me. I actually felt that the gradual incline at the end was not too bad. Just my opinion, but others may feel differently!
 
 
 
I found my favorite gu to date and was my fuel for the half marathon. Not too thick, great flavor, and tasted like a fruit roll up. I like sweets occasionally, but not a huge fan, so it took some time to find one that I liked.

... FINISHED! Conquered Hospital Hill and no injuries. I did feel emotional about this accomplishment.... not at the finish line, but after I went to the meet up area to find Brandon. Just started sinking in. All my hard work and training had paid off... all for an AMAZING cause.  I thought if I could do this... I'm ahead of schedule and confident about the training ahead. :) 
Finally, it was awesome to have Brandon there to cheer me on and run around the last 4 miles with me... my rock. 
 
 
 
#RunWithTheMarines #GoLLSTeamInTraining
 
 
Celebrated at Potomac Point Vineyard and Winery. Cheers!
 


 
Fundraising.
Click here to make a donation OR click the LLS Team in Training logo/donate now link in the right pane of this blog. I need to fundraise at least $2000 to meet my goal.

Please share my blog link with anyone you know that can fill a state on my map... $1 could fill a state. I am going to fill each state on the map below and update on my blog as I receive support, so my blog followers can see my progress. VA, DC, DE, and NC filled so far!
 
Thanks for following/sharing my blog! Please feel free to comment. I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment