Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ok, so I've decided to commit...

I never thought I would be doing a marathon, but want to achieve this goal once in my lifetime. Crazy?! Maybe haha. If you had asked me a few years ago I would have responded with such... "no that is crazy... I'm not a runner" or even just a year ago I would have responded with "no I run to be healthy, maintain fitness goals, and would not want to injure myself by doing a marathon." However, nothing is out of reach with proper training and I BELIEVE I CAN DO THIS.

I first started running when I moved to beautiful Old Town Alexandria and my dear friend Nicole introduced me to the idea of going on runs with her and trying a race. I joined in fun runs at the run club at Pacers with some of my girlfriends and friends from my building, ran for fun with my love... smiling, and continued to participate in races. Every time I would complete a new race, Nicole would respond with "haha now you'll be ready for a 4 miler... 10k... 10 miler... half marathon etc. and chuckle when I would respond "haha nope, no way." I've been back and forth about participating, but what better time  to train then after completing my Master's in Cybersecurity and before I start a family of my own. I would love to achieve my once in a lifetime goal coupled with a chance to support an amazing cause to save lives.

I am participating in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training for the Marine Corps Marathon and need your support. Several people I know have battled cancer/kicked cancer's ass and personally saw a best friend go through beating cancer, so the idea of helping to fight cancer hits close to home. I am not keen on pressuring or soliciting family or friends for funds, so just want to mention that your support can be shown in many forms such as sharing my website/blog and no donation amount is too small. $5 could go towards this amazing cause to help raise funds for treatments that save lives every day; like immunotherapies that use a person's own immune system to kill cancer.

TNT Participant - LLS Team in Training

I will be documenting my training and fundraising efforts through this blog, so please check back from time to time. :)

I want to thank Ellen Shannon for first making me aware of this amazing cause while
participating in the Marine Corps Marathon 10k last year.

My fundraising website:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/corps15/KimberlyConway#My-Fundraising-Page

For more information about my Team in Training participation go to: http://www.teamintraining.org/

The breakdown of how much one donation of any size can help is listed below.

I will meet my $1500 fundraising goal if...
290 people donate $5 or
145 people donate $10 or
97 people donate $15 or
72 people donate $20 or

any variation of donations you feel comfortable with, every dollar helps!

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the best people that I know and I know you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto... thanks for the encouragement!! Xoxo

      Delete